Serving the citizens of Clear Creek, Eagle, Summit and Lake Counties

I’m a Juvenile

The juvenile court division handles the prosecution of offenders who are at least 10 and less than 18 years of age who have been charged with misdemeanor or felony offenses. Juvenile cases are heard in district court. If a juvenile receives a traffic ticket it is not handled in juvenile court but is instead handled in county court along with all of the other traffic tickets. If the juvenile is 14 years old and has been charged with a violent crime they may be charged as an adult.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do I have to appear in court with my child?» 2. Can my child be charged with a crime with me being notified by law enforcement?» 3. Can law enforcement talk to my child without me being present?» 4. Do I need an attorney?» 5. What kind of punishment can I receive?» 6. Will I have to pay restitution? What is joint and several restitution?» 7. How soon can I get my juvenile record expunged?» 8. Does my juvenile record go away when I turn 18?» 9. May I obtain the police reports related to my case?»

Yes. Under Colorado law if the child is under the age of 18 and otherwise unemancipated a parent or guardian must appear in court with him or her.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

Yes. If the juvenile is being charged with a felony, the case will be sent to the District Attorney’s Office for review and the filing of charges. If charges are filed a letter will be sent to the juvenile and the parents, notifying them of the charges and advising them of the court date. If the charge is a misdemeanor the officer will typically write the juvenile a summons (a ticket) which will list the court date. In some cases a juvenile may be taken into custody by law enforcement.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

Yes. However if the child is in custody and law enforcement wishes to ask him or her about their involvement in a crime then a parent or guardian must be present.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

Whether or not you obtain an attorney is your choice. You may either hire an attorney of your choosing or, if you cannot afford one, apply for the public defender. You may obtain an application for the public defender when you appear in court or you can go to the clerk’s office at the courthouse and get one at any time. If you do not obtain an attorney initially the district attorney who is handling the case will discuss the case with you when you appear in court. However neither the district attorney nor the court can give you legal advice.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

The punishment a juvenile will receive is dependent on many factors, including the juvenile’s history and the seriousness of the crime. In most cases a judge will sentence juvenile offenders from anywhere to probation to up to two years in a juvenile program run by the Department of Human Services. If the juvenile is facing a first offense and the crime is not considered serious she may be eligible for the District Attorney’s diversion program. (LINK diversion section within the site) The punishment for more serious crimes could range up to time in the Youth Offender System to potential jail or imprisonment.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

Under Colorado law a victim of a crime has a right to be reimbursed for financial losses they incurred as a result of a crime. If more than one juvenile is charged with the crime the judge may order that any restitution be paid “joint and several” with the other juveniles. That means that all of the participants will be ordered to pay the full amount of restitution. Each participant will be required to pay restitution until the amount is paid in full. It is not required that it be paid equally by each juvenile.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

  • Immediately:
    • Finding of not guilty at adjudicatory trial
  • One year from:
    • Date of law enforcement contact
    • Completion of juvenile diversion
  • Four years from:
    • Termination of court’s jurisdiction
    • Release from commitment
    • Release from parole
  • Ten years:
    • For repeat or mandatory sentence offenders
  • Not eligible:
    • Aggravated juvenile offender
    • Crime of violence
    • Crime direct filed as an adult
    • Adjudication for unlawful sexual behavior
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

No. Anything on your record will remain there unless you are eligible for expungement and you go through the formal expungement process.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

Yes. You or your attorney may request discovery (the reports related to your case) through our office. There is a per page copy charge for this service, so the cost of your discovery is dependent on the size of your file.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5