Serving the citizens of Clear Creek, Eagle, Summit and Lake Counties

Common Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Click on each question to view its corresponding answer.

What does the DA's Office Do? » Can I plea by mail? » What are the procedures for getting my police report?» What happens when I come to court on a traffic ticket? » How do I change my bond conditions? » If I have a traffic ticket, can I discuss my ticket with the Deputy District Attorney prior to the court date? » What is a traffic infraction? » How do I change my court date? » What if I want to report a crime? » Why are some cases plea bargained? » How do I get a Public Defender or other legal representation when I am accused of a crime? »

The residents of each of Colorado’s twenty-two judicial districts elect a District Attorney to represent “the People” of the State of Colorado in all criminal proceedings through the trial stage of a case. Clear Creek, Eagle, Lake and Summit Counties comprise the Fifth Judicial District. The District Attorney’s Office does not handle civil matters or divorce proceedings.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

You may be able to plea by mail if you live outside the four counties of the Fifth Judicial District and you are not facing jail time. For information on whether or not you are eligible to do a plea by mail and instructions on how to request a plea by mail, please visit our Plea by Mail page.Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

You will need to call the main number for the appropriate office and talk to the legal secretary. The legal secretary will tell you the number of pages and how much it will cost. We charge twenty-five cents per page. You will have two choices on how to receive your police reports. First, you can do everything by mail. The legal secretary will send you a letter with the cost of the reports. When you send your payment, they will send you the reports. Second, you can come to the appropriate District Attorney’s Office and pick up your police reports. We take cash and credit cards. We do not take personal checks.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

Although the procedures are different in each court, generally, you will be advised of your rights by the judge and be allowed to see the Deputy District Attorney. The DDA will offer you a plea agreement. It is your decision on whether you take the plea agreement or not. If you take the plea agreement, you can plead guilty on that date and depending on the crime you can be sentenced. If you decide not to take the plea agreement, you can set the case for trial. At the first appearance in Court you also have the right to set the case over to talk to a defense attorney. Your plea agreement that is offered does not get worse if you talk to a defense attorney.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

You will need to file a motion with the court, in advance of the hearing and with a copy sent to the DA’s office, requesting a change in the bond conditions and the reason why. You will also need to send a copy to the appropriate District Attorney’s Office. It is the policy of the District Attorney’s Office to evaluate every case and make a recommendation to change bond conditions or not change bond conditions based upon the facts of that case. A Deputy District Attorney may recommend that bond conditions stay in place even though a victim may want them lifted.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

Generally, due to the high volume of cases, you cannot talk to the Deputy District Attorney about your case until the court date. You are welcome to fax or mail a letter to DA prior to the hearing. If your case is a traffic infraction, the Deputy District Attorney cannot handle your case and you will need to contact the appropriate court.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

Traffic infractions are low level traffic offenses that carry only a fine. To check if you have a traffic infraction you can call the appropriate court and they can tell you whether you case is a traffic infraction or misdemeanor traffic offense.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

You will need to contact the appropriate court. The District Attorney’s Office cannot continue your court date.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

You will need to contact your local police agency. The District Attorney’s Office relies upon the police agencies to provide us with investigations. If it is an emergency, you should dial 911.
Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

There are not enough DAs, judges, courtrooms, or trial days on the calendar to put all the thousands of cases every year in the four counties of the Fifth Judicial District before a jury. For those defendants taken to trial, or for those who plead guilty before a trial, there are not enough jail cells in the state to hold them.

These practical demands plus the defendant’s speedy trial rights, the seriousness of the cases, the strengths or weaknesses of cases, the victim’s wishes, public safety, punishment, rehabilitation, and deterrence are all interests that are considered by the DA when deciding how to proceed. Most cases are resolved in a relatively short time with a plea agreement designed to balance the competing interests involved.

Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5

In all traffic and misdemeanor cases it is necessary to attend the arraignment without a Public Defender present. This is because many defendants choose to take the DA’s offer, and find no further court dates are necessary.

Once a pretrial date has been set after pleading not guilty, then the Public Defender’s office may be contacted to see if you qualify for representation. Clients must be able to show proof of their low income level by providing pay stubs or tax returns.

Dillon Regional Public Defender’s Office

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1612
Dillon, CO 80435

Street Address:
114 Village Place
Suite 101
Dillon, CO 80435

Phone: (970) 468-9363
and (970) 468-9389
Fax: (970) 468-9214

Private counsel may also be sought, and generally an entry of appearance and a request for a pretrial conference are filed with the courts as well as the DA’s office. In this situation, it is not necessary for the defendant to appear at either court date because the attorney is representing the client.

It is also possible for a defendant to represent themselves throughout the court process, or “pro se.” The District Attorney’s office will give anyone representing themselves equal consideration in the case, and the same plea bargain as if they had an attorney.

Powered by Hackadelic Sliding Notes 1.6.5